Thanks for stopping by!!

Saturday, February 16, 2013

President's Day VCMP Feb. 2013

Texture Omit/Selective Embossing Challenge
I want to challenge you to try a new technique that will let you stretch your embossing folders. This technique creates an area where the embossing folder doesn't make an impression and you have an area you can stamp in or even add a different texture from another folder.
Here is my card.
These are the products I used.
Embossing folder Spellbinders M-Bossabilities Kicking Rubber
Black homemade embossing diffusers (bottom left, with oval cut out and rectangle)
black homemade diffusers and Spellbinder's Kicking Rubber
1. I put the black diffuser on my paper and checked where to stamp my image. The motorcycle was so long I stamped it first, then embossed it, but if your image is smaller you can emboss first.

2. I placed my stamped image in the folder, then placed the black diffuser on top, checking to be sure it was lined up with the image. I could see the image thru the folder.
3. Then I sandwiched everything to go thru the Cuttlebug.  The black diffuser takes the place of one of the B plates so my sandwich from the bottom to the top was: A plate, folder, diffuser, C plate.  It was a tight fit because the Spellbinder folder is thicker than most embossing folders.  The area under the black diffuser gets embossed and it leaves an unembossed area where the oval shape is.
This is my paper after it was embossed.
4. I added the Distress Stain Tea Dye to make the bumps and tracks show up better.
Finished with a sentiment from Paper Smooches Sentiment Sampler stamps and mat of dark brown designer paper from Sticker Studio.

The black diffusers in the picture were made by my friend out of gasket material that you can find at a hardware or auto parts store.  We use the rectangle piece to emboss 1/2 of a card front.
embossed front using the rectangular diffuser
I made this diffuser with cardboard and a Sizzix die
You can make your own diffuser by cutting a circle or oval (any shape you want) in 4 to 6 layers of cardstock or cardboard (like cereal boxes) and taping them together.  If you make your own, you can save the inside piece and use it as a diffuser also.  You want to be sure it is thick enough to get a good impression but not too thick to go thru your machine.  
Your challenge is to create a card that has the texture omit or selective embossing.  Use any shape you want and have fun!!


Here is a link to a card and video by Kristine Werner with a diffuser that she made out of cardstock.  http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/?p=9258 
Tim Holtz Sizzix EMBOSSING DIFFUSERS are plastic diffusers that you can purchase.

43 comments:

  1. Beth, Great challenge. I too watched that video by Kristina Werner and made my own diffusers. Very simple to make with a Silhouette Cameo or Cricut. Gotta run out for awhile, but will be back tomorrow with my card for your challenge. Joined your blog, hope you will hop over to mine sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a technique that I've never seen before. Sometime this weekend I'll watch the video and give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried this before...I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for being a VCMP hostess, Beth! Now I'm off to try to make my own diffuser so I can play along, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, Beth! I've actually got some diffusers but have never used them (gasp!) You've inspired me to create one now. Will get busy....

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH fun, I haven't done this for a long time, thanks for a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card. Love the texture it's perfect with the image.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, this looks challenging and fun! I think I will give it a go...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the embossing folder you used. Great for a masculine card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually made some diffusers like this last night after watching a Youtube video of someone useing the TH ones. I love your card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen this technique before but I have some of those gaskets - LOL! They work to emboss Nesties, too. :) I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diffusers?!? Will have to go make one. I accept that challenge! lol I really like the tread marks with the stamp. Masculine cards are such a challange to have ideas for. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a challenge that makes me work my brain. Did my selective embossing with a woodgrain folder so that I'd only use the knot part of the image.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm - I am going to have to make one too. I guess I better get busy. Great masculine card -- I really like that embossing folder. Thanks for hosting this challenge.

    Sharon S.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your motorcycle card is awesome and this is a really fun challenge! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for this challenge! (The You Tube video was a great help!) Made a diffuser of my own and used it to create the first Father's Day card of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great explanation of this technique, Beth. I'll look forward to trying it out when I get home. Thanks for sharing such a complete tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for choosing this challenge. I bought the difusser plates about a year ago and have never used them. This forced me to bring them out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun challenge! I love this technique. I already had some cereal box diffusers made so this was an easy one for me. Thanks for sponsoring the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great challenge Beth! Thanks so much for providing a link to the video - I am a visual learner so seeing it done makes it a bit less intimidating. Off to make a diffuser and then I'll be back to post :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this challenge!! I bought a Tim Holtz diffuser set months ago and have wanted to use it, but never did - until today!! I also have the ef you used and I just love your card!! I may have to CASE your layout for sometime. Thanks for sponsoring the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks very much for hosting this fun challenge, Beth. Thanks also for your instructions, card sample, and for the link to Kristina Werner's video. I'm going have to try this. I can see myself making a lot of interesting shape diffusers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This one took me a bit longer than I anticipated but I did get it done before heading up to bed :-) Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for hosting this fun challenge! I'd seen the technique many times but never taken the time to try it. I may even invest some time to create (or maybe even buy) the diffusers that Tim Holtz has now that I get how this is done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a fabulous challenge and I've bookmarked your tutorial so I can play around with it when I have more time! Please forgive me for taking a major short-cut with this challenge :) Your card is just sensational and I love the kickin' rubber embossed background!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for this - I love the look, and am thrilled to see that you can make your own diffusers. I'll have to give this a shot later this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beth, I love your cards!! Last night, I struggled with this (I struggled with most of them yesterday). Today, it was easy peezy. Thanks for the great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm away from my craft area this weekend, but am checking in on the VCMP participants and getting such good ideas. This card is over-the-top amazing! I haven't made my own diffusers yet, but saw Kristina's video and am doubly inspired by your card. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE your stamp image and embossers ! Where did you find them ? Thanks for a challenging challenge =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The motorcycle image is Born to Ride by Raisin Boat. The embossing folder I got from Simon Says Stamp.

      Delete
  30. This was such a neat challenge! Thank you so much for all the directions on creating a diffuser. I have made one today and have had wonderful results. Will post my card images tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This technique is one I will be definitely trying. Love the motorcycle image (who makes it?) and the dry embossing tracks - great guy card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The motorcycle image is from Raisin Boat's Born to Ride.

      Delete
  32. Great challenge and card. I have been meaning to try this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Now I have to go get that kickin rubber embossing folder I love it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I originally totally failed at this challenge. I thought I understood but apparently I didn't. (I linked with a photo of my fail.) I think I need an embossing class. HOWEVER, I figured it out in my sleep last night what I was doing wrong and made another card this morning. What a fun technique! Can't wait to use it again!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for this challenge!!! I had seen the video when it was posted, and have been thinking about it ever since! Thanks for the "extra push" :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a fun and fabulous challenge! I used my diffuser for the very first time...thanks for the push!! What a great masculine card too.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks so much for hosting this great challenge. I had so much fun making the diffuser and using it on my card. Of course I have visions of making diffusers in all the shapes that I have Sizzix dies.

    ReplyDelete
  38. My card looks much better in person than online. I need some photo suggestions. I discovered that you can't make your difusser too complex. Simple shapes are probably best. I tried to make mine a cupcake to go along with the stamp I used. :(

    VinDeeLoo
    vndlewis at rocketmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  39. This was the first time I joined OWH challenges it took me some tie but I loved it.Thanks for hosting.
    http://kleymanr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. I saved a tutorial on how to do this a couple of years ago. Of course I can't find it, but I found yours. Thanks for publishing this.

    ReplyDelete