Thanks for stopping by!!

Sunday, May 6, 2012

OWH Be A Rebel Challenge #6 - Use a Die Cut



 Welcome to my blog for the 2nd day of the OWH virtual card making party! I love being a rebel especially to make cards for OWH!  My challenge to you is to make a card using a die. 
I love working with dies and seeing what can be done with them.  Today I have 2 cards to show you using dies.  I used a technique I learned from Sandy Allnock that she calls Out of the Box die cutting.  I used 2 digital images I got from Bugaboo Digi Stamps.  I love their digi stamps and the different ways you can use them.  The dragon I colored on the computer before I printed it and the bear I colored with watercolor pencils after I die cut it. I sized the images on the computer so that part of the image would stick out of the die I wanted to use.  I printed them on regular paper first and tested the images with the dies then I printed them out on GP cardstock.  Before I cut them out with the die I fussy cut around the part that sticks out of the die and slid it over the back of the die so it wouldn't get cut.
Here is my dragon card.  I used the bonus sketch from the OWH S&S blog. His wings and a bit of his tail stick out over the edge of the die, Spellbinders Reverse Wonky Rectangle. I popped his wings with dimensional tape so they would stick up a bit.  I added Glossy Accents to the heart to make it stand out.  All the cardstock I used except the actual card base came from my scrap stash that I had cut up and organized after Sandy's challenge.  I found the vellum greeting in my stash and added the brads to hold it on.
Here is my bear card.  I used sketch #34 from the OWH S&S blog. The bear image has the star sticking off the edge.  I colored him with watercolor pencils and added Glossy Accents to his halo and both stars.  The die is the Spellbinders Wonky Square.  The papers are scraps from my scrap pile except for the stripe DP which I cut down from another card front.  I was going to use different colors but when I started putting them together with the bear image the colors didn't work. The sentiment was one I had already cut out.  It comes from the Hero-Arts/Sizzix Stamp and Framelit Die set Floral.  The image and sentiment both have dimensional tape.

Now it is your turn.  Go make a card or two using a die then link it up here and on Facebook.  Thank you for joining me today.


8 comments:

  1. Beth both cards are fantastic!! I love our new blog and am so happy to see you hosting this challenge! Good for you!

    I have often wanted to try this technique but just haven't made the time - maybe today is the day?!? What program did you use to color the dragon? If I could color digitally that would solve a lot of my coloring anxiety!

    Congrats, again, on your new blog - it really fits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Photoshop Elements. The Bugaboo digis are nice to color because you just click in the space and choose the color. Some images you have to go through more steps.

      Delete
  2. Hi Beth!
    Thanks for hosting another great challenge! Both of your cards are as cute as the dickens! My heart belongs to the little bear on the wonky square, with his halo slightly askew! Great job on both. I can see I need to buy some new Spellbinders!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the challenge! I love the fun of using my dies. I need to do it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two really great cards! I agree die cuts can add such a nice framed fell and really perks up a card. Thanks for playing host this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting this challenge! I had a card I wanted to make and this challenge helped get it out of my head and actually made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful samples.

    Thanks very much for hosting this challenge.

    sf_crafter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, that dragon is the cutest, I have never seen him before. Your cards are beautiful Beth! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete